posted on November 13, 2009 20:04
Congratulations, you are taking a wonderful multi-vitamin, Women Vitamins A-Z Complete, that is totally full of 100% of the RDA of vitamins and trace minerals. However, you still want to maintain or ramp up your healthy immune system. Can you kick your supplement regime up one more notch?
These are a few supplements that could be worth your time and money:
1)Vitamin D...although the RDA is 400 IU's, the Office of Dietary Supplements/Institute of Health is now saying that intake up to 2000 IU's/day is okay. Since Vitamin D is now thought to help prevent some cancers, promote heart health, positively affect MS, and aid with depression, the larger dose may be more accurate. Keep in mind that after a day in the sun, your body will make 10,000 IU's of Vitamin D all by itself.
2) CoQ 10, a ubiquitone enzyme, essential for tissues and organs as they manufacture energy (the ATP molecule). CoQ 10 also helps with heart muscle function, seems to affect cancer, and is a great anti-oxidant. Recommended dosage ranges from 32-100 mg/day. People taking statins need to be aware that statins deplet the CoQ 10 in your body, and may therefore require 300mgs/day. (Consult your statin prescribing doctor.)
3) Omega 3 Oils (EPA-DHA) are anti inflammatory and they support brain and heart health, moods and cognitive processes. Omega 3 Oils soften the cell membrane for ease of travel of neuro-transmitters. Recommended dose: 1-3 g/day of fish oil or 1-2 tablespoons of flax oil.
4) Ginko Biloba is a great antioxidant that protects against free radicals that cause damage especially in the brain. It also has been linked to improved circulation, aiding with fatigue and depression, is a great anti-inflammatory. It also slows down the deterioration leading to dementia. This flavanoid has a recommended dose of 120mg, twice daily.
5) Probiotics are good bacteria that live in your stomach and intestines. These help the gut with nutrient absorption. Probiotics have been used to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and urinary and vaginal infections.
6) Green Drinks include everything from green algae and chlorophyll, to wheat and barley grasses, green tea and green vegetable juices....green is the color of health....These drinks can detoxify, control appetite, and provide enzymes and nutrients...
Adding any or all of these supplements may assist you with continuing health, especially as we age or are under stressful conditions.
Look for quality products...and do your homework. Take your women vitamins and be blessed, Kersten