posted on September 27, 2009 12:53
I know you are like me; we shop for foods with the best nutritional intentions. We congratulate ourselves on choosing wisely for ourselves and our family’s health.
So when I came across some data recently…about the dwindling amounts of nutrients and vitamins found in our common food sources, I was pretty alarmed!
These are stats from the USDA….indicating the loss of vitamins and minerals in fruits and vegetables today compared to 1975.
* Apples: vitamin A is down 41%
* Sweet peppers: vitamin C is down 31%
* Watercress: iron is down 88%
* Broccoli: calcium and vitamin A are down 50%
* Cauliflower: vitamin C is down 45%; vitamin B1 is down 48%; vitamin B2 is down 47%
* Collards greens: vitamin A is down 45%; potassium is down 60%; magnesium is down 85%
The vitamin and mineral content of our fruits and vegetables has dramatically plummeted - in just 34 years!
In the United States and throughout the world much of the world’s inventory of arable topsoil has been lost due to erosion, overuse of inorganic nitrogen fertilizers, and other farming practices that leave the soil depleted. The depletion of soil nutrients and soil microorganisms contributes to soil erosion and the loss of arable topsoil. The Earth is losing arable topsoil at a rate of 75 to 100 GT. per year. If soil loss continues at present rates, it is estimated that there is only another 48 years of topsoil left. NutritionSecurity.Org
The human body needs nutritious food to stay healthy and maintain life; after all it is the body’s main source of energy for all biochemical processes.
Nutrients come from:
- plants – fruit, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, seeds
- animals – diary food, eggs and meat.
To maintain good health, we need:
- macronutrients- carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- micronutrients- vitamins (organic-plant derived) and minerals (inorganic-found in the earth)
So there you are, doing what you think is best…and you are still not on track with essential vitamins and minerals.
What can you do?
One thing is to start taking a reliable multi-vitamin product that is designed to compliment your healthy lifestyle and support your cellular/biochemical system, like Basics A-Z Complete with 11 vitamins and 70 trace colloidal minerals.
Look at the stats below….mineral deficiencies cause an awful lot of problems….
Diseases Mineral Deficiency Associated with the Disease
* Heart Conditions Chromium, Copper, Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium
* Chronic Bronchitis Copper, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc
* Asthma Magnesium
* Tintinitus Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc
* Bone Deformity Calcium, Copper, Fluoride, Magnesium
Consider finding a reputable source of organic foods; find a reliable source of women vitamins and minerals. Be vigilant… Be Blessed, Kersten